Stewart Park

  • Description

    Stewart Park is well know as the birth place of Captain James Cook. From 1786 the land was in the ownership of Major Rudd who lived in Marton Lodge close to Marton Village. Henry Bolckow bought the estate in 1853, building Marton Hall and enhancing the grounds from then on until the 1860s. Bolckow’s work to the parkland included tree planting, the creation of two lakes and a now demolished boathouse. Carl Bolckow, nephew of Henry Bolckow, sold the Estate to Councillor Thomas Dorman Stewart in 1923 who gave the park to the people of Middlesbrough. The Park opened to the public on the 23rd May 1928. Stewart Park covers about 120 acres and consists of both mature woodland and an arboretum on the southern side, with open parkland on the northern side. The Park is of great importance to local people and hosts the annual Cleveland Show. For more information on the Local List please click here -" rel="nofollow">
  • Owner

    Middlesbrough Council
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 259 times
    Picture Taken: 2011-03-23T11:39:09
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.