CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT - Benfieldside - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. 1849-50 by John Dobson; addition of south aisle, choir vestry and organ 1881-6 by J.W. Walton Wilson; site and £450 given by Thomas Wilson of Shotley Hall, remainder by public subscription. Coursed squared sandstone with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; roofs of graduated thick purple slate and Welsh slate, with stone gable copings. Aligned north-south. Aisled nave with ritual north-west porch tower and south-west choir vestry; chancel with north vestry and south organ chamber. Early English style. Tower has drip-string over boarded double doors with elaborate hinges...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1240381
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 160 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES