Tyne and Wear HER(2355): South Shields, St. Hilda's Colliery

  • Description

    "St. Hilda's Colliery was served by St. Hilda's Wagonway (HER ref. 2356) and by a Ballast Railway (HER ref. 2427). The shaft first sunk in 1822 by the Brandlings and the Colliery opened in 1825. The mine holds a significant position in the development of ventilation, lighting and safety in the mines. Following a gas explosion in 1839, which killed 51 miners, an inquest found that the disaster had resulted from the use of lighted candles in the mine and recommended that their use should be abolished. A 'Committee for the Investigation of Accidents in Mines' was formed in South Shields shortly afterwards...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/2355
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 506 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES