Description"The former Rectory was built in 1793 by Admiral Samuel Barrington and Bishop Shute Barrington for their nephew, the Reverend George Barrington, so that he could live 'in the manner to which he was accustomed'. It was converted in 1973 by the local Community Association for community use and renamed Ceddesfield Hall. The medieval rectory here which burnt down in 1793 was reputedly haunted by 'The Pickled Parson' who, some say, still resides in a lost tunnel leading from St Edmund's Church to the Rectory http://www.sedgefield.net/hertrail/ceddes.html The name, 'Ceddesfeld', was the old name for Sedgefield recorded in documentary sources in the years 915 and 1050. It is Anglo-Saxon in origin and may simply mean "Cedds' Field" or alternatively may reflect the nature of the surrounding area which, before land improvement, was damp and marshy, and often referred to as 'sedge'. National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1160001 https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1160001" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2637650
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 4 months ago
Viewed: 130 times
Picture Taken: 2011-10-07