Tyne and Wear HER(1734): Bishopwearmouth, High Street West, Central Fire Station

  • Description

    Shown as Central Fire Station on Ordnance Survey third and fourth editions. The fire station opened in 1907, the same year that the nearby Empire Theatre and law courts opened. All three buildings were designed by Sunderland architects William Milburn (1850-1935) and Thomas Ridley Milburn (1862-1943)....The main elevation has five arched openings for the fire engines. These are now blocked up and filled with painted murals. There are five windows above with stone surrounds. In-between the windows are four circular carvings of flaming torches, brightly painted. There is a fine oil painting of the fire station by Ron Henderson, which is held by the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service at Sunderland East Community Fire Station...."
  • Owner

  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/1734
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 419 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.