The Lord Crewe Arms Hotel, The Square, Blanchland

  • Description

    "Grade II* Listed the hotel is probably the abbot's lodge, guest house and kitchen of the Abbey and also incorporates the west cloister range of the Abbey. 13th and 15th century it was remodelled around the time of the village rebuilding in 1752. After the Dissolution in 1539 the estates and buildings were bought firstly by the Radcliffe family and then, in 1623, the range became the house of the Forster family. Thomas Forster, awaiting trial at Newgate for his part in the 1715 rebellion, escaped with the aid of his sister Dorothy and is reputed to have hidden for a time in the priest's hole before going into exile in France. Forced to sell the estate it was bought by Dorothy's husband, Lord Nathaniel Crewe, 3rd Baron Crewe and Bishop of Durham in 1708. On his death in 1721 the estate passed to the ‘Lord Crewe Trustees’. Possibly as a result of the ever booming local lead mining activities, what had been the Manor House became The Lord Crewe Arms." Photo by Jo Turner, 2010.
  • Owner

    Jo Turner
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4767402
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 4 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 319 times
    Picture Taken: 2010-07-24
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES