Tyne and Wear HER(1012): Felling, Friar's Goose Pumping Station

  • Description

    "The fragmentary remains of a beam pumping engine house on the site of a series of engines built to drain the Tyne Coal Basin. Massively constructed beam-wall survives showing the location of a beam pivot socket, gantry joist holes and a round headed opening; the pivot wall is buttressed. The engine house, as it appeared in c.1840 is illustrated in "View of the Colleries of Northumberland and Durham" by the artist T.H. Hair. In 1745 two engines were built at Dent's Hole and two at Byker because the water in the Heaton and Jesmond wastes was a constant threat on the barriers of Byker Colliery. A report of 1746 highlighted the threat of increased water, so Friars Goose pumping station was built with two engines, connected through the under-river workings with Byker south district...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/1012
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 186 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES