Tyne and Wear HER(9377): North Shields, Clifford's Fort, No. 10 (Old Barrack Building)

  • Description

    "Brick-built soldiers quarters as shown on OS second edition. Purpose-built structure for the Tyne Divison Royal Engineers (Volunteers) Submarine Miners built circa 1888. Clifford's Fort was at that time a facility for the deployment of underwater explosives to destroy enemy vessels approaching the Tyne. There were 9 officers and 180 other ranks here in 1888....."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/9377
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 339 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES