Tyne and Wear HER(149): North Shields, Clifford's Fort, post medieval defences

  • Description

    "Clifford's Fort was built in 1672, the beginning of the third Dutch War, as a successor to a little fort (c. 1642) of "baskets filled with sand and mortar, with guns placed between the baskets". Designed by Martin Beckman, it was an irregular shape with its long axis north-south. A raised platform, walled and with a three storey redoubt, protected a low riverside gun battery. The surviving west and north walls, of stone rubble beneath brick parapets, with gun ports and musket loops, are probably of this date. The principal later alterations, largely of the 18th century, included several new buildings such as barracks and the master gunner's house...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/149
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 319 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES