Description"Because of the difficulty of navigating ships into the mouth of the river past the dangerous Black Midden rocks, buildings were erected with permanent lights burning to be used as a guide by the mariners. The first of these was the Old High Beacon, built in 1727. In 1802, this was replaced by the High and Low Lights, placed respectively at the top and bottom of the steep bank alongside the river. The Old High Beacon, as well as the High and Low Lights, still exist today as private residences. Recently tidied up the Local Council has done much to improve this area, the Old Walls of the old Clifford's Fort can be seen on the right; built in the 17th century as a coastal defence against the Dutch. The Fort also played a role during the Napoleonic Wars." Photo by Ken Robson, 2009.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3477172
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 6 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 397 times
Picture Taken: 2009-08-25