St. Andrew's Church, Newgate Street, NE1 - font cover

  • Description

    "See [[3737101]] and [[3737137]]. The font cover is mediaeval, of about 1500 AD. It would originally have been painted in bright colours. It survived the destruction of the original stone font by the invading Scots in the 1640s by being hidden in a vault in the churchyard. There is a similar mediaeval font cover in the Cathedral Church of St. Nicholas - see [[1078595]]." Photo by Mike Quinn, 2013.
  • Owner

    Mike Quinn
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3737153
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 470 times
    Picture Taken: 2013-10-31
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES