Description"The building, standing opposite the almshouses, is dated 1909, and is now a private house. It was originally built by John Spencer, son of the founder of the local steel works, as a Wesleyan Sunday School for his work force and local people. It was later converted into a cottage hospital and would have been staffed by district nurses and a few full-time sisters under the charge of a matron. The local General Practitioner would be responsible for medical supervision with simple operations undergone by visiting surgeons from Newcastle." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1986675
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 9 months ago
Viewed: 266 times
Picture Taken: 2010-07-28