GREAT TOSSON TOWER

  • Description

    "The ruins of Great Tosson Tower stand on rising ground, on the south side of the village. The site commands an extensive view northwards across the Coquet valley; a short distance to the north east is the head of a gully, containing a spring which now only flows in wet weather. The Ogles obtained land in Tosson in the 1330s, but only gained possession of the whole township in 1386; in 1517 William Ogle gave Tosson tower to Lord Ogle in exchange for Cocklaw Tower, and in 1522 Lord Ogle leased it to a local landowner, William Gallon, who still held it in 1546....."
  • Owner

    Gatehouse Gazetteer
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/2842.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 179 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES