Description"The chimney was built in the late 1840s originally as part of the original steam operated flax mill designed by John Dobson (now known as Cluny Warehouse). The huge, brick-arched flue leading from the chimney to the mill was revealed under the road during works by Transco in the 1990s. After the chimney went out of use, c.1900, the base was converted into a blacksmith's workshop, accessed via a door originally provided for cleaning and maintenance []. The chimney was originally taller than Byker Bridge, visible behind. The top was removed prior to World War II and the chimney void filled in. http://www.twsitelines.info/Siteline.nsf/8f71f680ce308c9a802573a80061c133/184a601d177a54d9802576af003e4d7c" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2986428
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 1 month ago
Viewed: 324 times
Picture Taken: 2010-03-28