Description"Built in the mid-14th century as a fortified manor house. The castle was gutted by fire in 1405 and remained as a romantic ruin until 1860 when one tower was made habitable. Between 1895 and 1914, it was restored by Cadwallader John Bataes to its original 14th century grandeur. It continued its chequered history functioning as a girls school and a medieval banqueting hall until it was converted to its present function as an up-market hotel. The local celebrity, the painter John Martin, used to play in the ruins as a child, and one occasion got stuck in one of the chimneys and had to be rescued (this was before the days of the Fire and Rescue Service!)" Photo by Oliver Dixon, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2105744
Resource type: Image
Added by: Pat Thomson
Last modified: 4 years ago
Viewed: 221 times
Picture Taken: 2010-10-10