Alston Arches Viaduct

  • Description

    "This bridge carried the Haltwhistle to Alston branch of the (then) Newcastle and Carlisle Railway Company when it was opened in 1852. The branch line outlived many others, principally because of the difficulties of road travel in winter. It closed in 1976 after a new road was built. For more info about the branch liine, see http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/haltwhistle/index.shtml. The bridge was restored in 2006 and now has a public footpath across the River South Tyne. See [[574411]] (photographed by Stephen McKay)." Photo by Mike Quinn, 2012.
  • Owner

    Mike Quinn
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2874198
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 533 times
    Picture Taken: 2012-03-29
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES