CHURCH OF ST MARY - Sherburn Village - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. 1872 by Austin and Johnson. Squared, rock-faced stone in narrow courses with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roofs. Aisled nave, south aisle continuing across west bay of chancel; chancel with organ chamber/vestry on north; tower and spire in angle between vestry and north aisle. Early English and Geometrical styles. Tall 3-stage tower: square-plan lower stage with pointed north door; small broaches at base of octagonal second stage; octagonal belfry in ashlar has trefoil-headed bell openings under linked hoodmoulds, parapet with angle pinnacles and squat spire....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1159348
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 179 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES