Bowburn Colliery ‐ a brief history

  • Description

    by Mike Syer "Bowburn Colliery was originally owned by Bell Bros. Ltd. Ironmasters of Middlesbrough. They already owned Tursdale Colliery and began by buying farms in the area that came to be know as Bowburn with a view to sinking a new shaft as early as 1900 (the proposed shaft was originally referred to at the planning stage as “New Tursdale”). The shaft began to be sunk in 1906 and, after this was connected in the Harvey seam with a shaft sunk by Mr. Quelch of Bowburn House Farm, some fifty years earlier, which had failed to produce coals at the time, the first coals were drawn from Bowburn Colliery on 7th June 1908...."
  • Owner

    Durham in Time
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.durhamintime.org.uk/durham_miner/bowburn_colliery_brief_history.pdf?OpenDocument
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 350 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES