Bowburn Colliery (1906-1967)

  • Description

    "In October 1905, the directors of Bell Brothers Ltd authorised Addison Langhorne Steavenson, their Agent, to take steps towards sinking a pit north of their colliery at Tursdale, to exploit royalties North of the Hett Whin Dyke. Sinking began in July 1906, after Gertrude Bell, the noted explorer, writer and Islamicist, and daughter of Sir Hugh Bell, chairman of Bell Bros. Ltd, cut a ceremonial sod. In the meantime, colliery buildings, a temporary pit heap and an engine house had already been erected and the colliery village of Bowburn had begun to be built to house the new colliery’s workforce. The new pit, initially referred to as “New Tursdale”, was to save underground haulage to Tursdale, using a new siding from the North Eastern Railway. The shaft was sunk by E. Johnson & Sons of East Boldon, to a depth of 110 fathoms into the Brockwell seam....."
  • Owner

    Bowburn Local History Society
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.bowburnhistory.co.uk/bowburn-colliery-1906-1967
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 255 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES