Deserted Medieval Village at Kimmerston (Ford)

  • Description

    "A possible deserted medieval village can be found at Kimmerston. Kimmerston was a member of the barony of Muschamp (Wooler), held by Odinel de Ford in 1242. In 1296 it had seven taxpayers and in 1313 it had eight taxpayers. In 1580, the Border Survey recorded that it had three tenants. The Court Rolls of Ford Manor show a high number of tenants, this can be seen at the County Records Office (reference NCRO ZAN B17/12). By 1714 it had five tenant farmers. By 1763 it was leased to two tenants as a single farm. Armstrong's map of 1769 shows...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N1968
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 274 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES