Plaque on east side of Scotswood Bridge

  • Description

    "The plaque records: 'The old Scotswood Bridge crossed the river 110 feet downstream of this point and was completed in 1831, being at that time one of the longest spans in the world (367ft). The suspension chains which gave rise to the name of the Chain Bridge were replaced in 1931 by wire ropes (which had been used in the construction of Sydney Harbour Bridge) when the deck was reconstructed. The old bridge was demolished in 1967 leaving only the north abutment to show the old crossing point.'" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2015.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4298481
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 324 times
    Picture Taken: 2015-01-01
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES