Penshaw Parish, Shiney Row War Memorial

  • Description

    "....The memorial was unveiled on 1 May 1922 by Lord Joicey. Designed by J Johnston, Clerk of Works, it commemorates 172 local servicemen who died in the First World War. The memorial stood originally opposite the Methodist Church at the north-western end of Barrack Row. It was moved c 80m to the south-east when Washington Highway (A182) was built. The memorial now stands c 100m to the south of that location, to the west of the junction of Station Road and Chester Road...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1439795
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years ago
    Viewed: 349 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES