Westgate Castle or Gate Castle (Westgate)

  • Description

    "Gate or Westgate Castle in Weardale was a defensible building that formed a hunting lodge at the west gate of the Bishop of Durham's hunting park (Stanhope Park) in Weardale. The site of the building lies within the village of Westgate and on the east bank of the Middlehope Burn. Historical Notes- The Castle is thought to have been founded by Bishop Bek c1300; in 1442, after the Bishop's hunting parties ceased, it was granted to Thomas Lumley, and used as an administrative centre and occasional prison. Surviving accounts show that the gatehouse was re-roofed in stone slates in 1470. John Leland writing c1546 saw the Castle as a 'praty square pile'. In 1559 it consisted of a great chamber and some lesser ones, a hall, buttery pantry, stables and outbuildings and had a lead roof. A description of c1590 describes it as 20 yards long by 10 yards broad, with an attached gatehouse...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=D2294
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 176 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES