WESTGATE CASTLE, STANHOPE

  • Description

    "Site of pele tower-cum-hunting lodge, probably built in C14. The building was used to hold forest courts from 1442 and later served as a residence but was reported to be in a state of ruin by 1647. Leland wrote "The Bishop of Duresme hath a praty square pile on the north side of Were ryver, caullid the Westgate, and therebye is a parke" Site currently overgrown. From the mid 13th century through to the early 17th, Westgate castle was one of the most important buildings in the North Pennines. It provided the 'west gate' into Bishop of Durham's great deer park of Stanhope, and functioned as an administrative headquarters for the Bishop's extensive estate encompassing the old Forest of Weardale. By the mid 17th century it lay in ruins....."
  • Owner

    Gatehouse Gazetteer
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/1029.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 149 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES