Biddlestone Catholic Chapel

  • Description

    "Biddlestone Chapel is one of the North East's smaller architectural treasures and is HCT's most remotely sited chapel, built in 1820 on the remains of a 14th-century fortified pele tower. The pele was one of many built along the English/Scottish borders from which signal fires were lit to warn of approaching dangers. The chapel is listed Grade II* and, because of its pele tower foundations, is also a Scheduled Ancient Monument. A local volunteer committee supports HCT in its efforts to make the chapel accessible....."
  • Owner

    Historic Chapels Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.hct.org.uk/chapels/biddlestone-catholic-chapel
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 189 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES