Description"Most remotely sited of HCT's chapels, Biddlestone stands in wild country on the southern slopes of the Cheviot Hills within Northumberland National Park. Biddlestone was once a private chapel adjoining Biddlestone Hall, the demolished home of the Selby family. The Selbys established themselves at Biddlestone where eventually they maintained a Catholic chaplaincy at their own expense. Scars on the west wall of the chapel indicate the site of the Hall where the chapel was attached. The chapel was built was over the remains of a mediaeval pele tower, that almost certainly dates from the late 14th century. Mediaeval rubblestone survives to eaves height on the north side and there is a thick-walled, barrel-vaulted undercroft below. About 1820 when the Selbys were rebuilding Biddlestone Hall they repaired the remains of the tower and constructed the chapel over the undercroft. The chapel is furnished in mid-Victorian Gothic Revival manner, with a three-light east window containing stained glass which dates from 1862. In the gallery is stained glass displaying Selby heraldry. http://www.hct.org.uk/chapels/north-east/biddlestone-rc-chapel/9" Photo by Les Hull, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1873627
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 278 times
Picture Taken: 2010-05-12