Description"This unusual building started off as a medieval tower house or Pele, first mentioned in a survey of 1415. In the 17th century the tower was incorporated into a larger manor house which became part of Biddlestone Hall in about 1800. In the 19th century the upper floors of the tower were converted into a Roman Catholic Chapel. In World War II part of the basement became an air raid shelter as the Hall was used as a convalescence home. After the War the Hall fell into disuse and was eventually demolished in 1957. Historic Chapels Trust: http://www.hct.org.uk/chapels/north-east/biddlestone-rc-chapel/9 The Journal 6 November 2006: http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/little-miracle-still-enchanting-4547409" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2009.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1216097
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 222 times
Picture Taken: 2009-03-20