Description"Of the many 18th-century Meeting Houses which survive in Northumberland only that at Coanwood has been spared major alteration since its construction in 1760. The date is carved on the lintel above the entrance. The walls of the Meeting House are built of squared stone with rusticated quoins. Two windows with plain stone surrounds light the principal meeting room. A third is set in the rear wall. The simple wooden benches inside are a rare survival of the historic Quaker layout. A panelled partition with hinged shutters sub-divides the interior to the right of the entrance. The smaller room has a fireplace and iron hob grate. In the burial ground are typically Quaker small gravestones, commemorating the Wigham family which founded the meeting." Photo by Les Hull, 2004.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/103790
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years ago
Viewed: 342 times
Picture Taken: 2004-04-16