WESTGATE METHODIST CHAPEL

  • Description

    "In the 18th and 19th centuries Westgate was the main centre of Primitive Methodist activity in Weardale; the original chapel was built in 1824, the year after an open air ‘camp meeting’, which was held in a local field and attracted 200 people. The chapel was rebuilt in 1871 to accommodate 500 people, and the original building was converted into a schoolroom. It is outstanding because it retains its complete Victorian layout, including a full set of pews and original windows....."
  • Owner

    Historic Chapels Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.hct.org.uk/chapels/westgate-methodist-chapel
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 284 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES