St Paul's Church, Spennymoor

  • Description

    Official Website of the church. "The Church has stood on Whitworth Terrace since its consecration in 1858. In 1880, the north aisle (the present Lady Chapel) was added and in 1890 the tower. A clock for the tower was added in 1898 and the following year tenants of the Shafto estates, together with parishioners donated the chimes. Eight tubular bells were placed in the tower, which were used and repaired until the 1960s when they became unsafe....It was St James’ Day, Saturday 25th July 1953 that disaster struck. A huge fire ripped through the building and reduced the church to a ruin with only the walls standing...."
  • Owner

    St Paul's Church, Spennymoor
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.stpaulsspennymoor.co.uk/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 218 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES