The House of Recovery, off Bath Lane, NE1

  • Description

    "Built in 1804 as a fever hospital, situated away from the (then) main centre of the town. It closed in 1888 when the City Hospital for Infectious Diseases was opened. The rather austere three-storey building is five bays wide, three of which are in a central pavilion. All the ground floor openings, including the central main door, are set within curved arches. All the windows have shaped heads, but only the first floor has a continuous sill. The building is Grade II listed http://list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1299316 . The Buildings of Grainger Town - No.218. See [[4406042]]." Photo by Mike Quinn, 2014.
  • Owner

    Mike Quinn
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4508146
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years ago
    Viewed: 218 times
    Picture Taken: 2014-09-13
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES