Description"St John’s is a distinctive red brick church in keeping with the character of the Victorian portions of this industrial village, but surrounded by newer housing. Built in 1879 at the initiative of William Cassidi, then Vicar of Grindon, it is listed grade II, and was recently substantially refurbished with help from English Heritage. Ronald Jasper, a former incumbent, was a distinguished liturgist, and later became Dean of Westminster Abbey. The church enjoys strong links with William Cassidi CE voluntary-aided Primary School. All Saints is part of a group of six parishes, also including All Saints Great Stainton, St Peter Bishopton, St Cuthbert Redmarshall, St James Grindon and St Peter Wolviston, all within Stockton deanery. http://www.achurchnearyou.com/stillington-st-john-the-divine/" Photo by Les Hull, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2051125
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years ago
Viewed: 160 times
Picture Taken: 2010-08-24