Description"The tramway linked the mine offices and plant works with Frederick Shaft and Winter's Shaft further up the hillside. The Settlingstones Mine began life in 1687 as a lead mine, but due to the depth of the workings and the ingress of water the mine closed at the end of the century. It was inactive until 1770 when lead and witherite was raised, and a hundred years later the mine owners realised that more profit was available from the witherite (a type of Barium). The mine was worked until 1970 when all the plant was sold off and the shafts were capped. This failed to prevent an area next to Ellen's Shaft to collapse in 1971, destroying the mine offices which were then being used as kennels for the Haydon Hunt." Photo by Matthew Hatton, 2016.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5167590
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 10 months ago
Viewed: 476 times
Picture Taken: 2016-10-06