ANCROFT CHURCH OF ST ANNE

  • Description

    "Built as a chapel of ease in the Norman period. A fortified tower was added to the west end of the nave in the late C13. This tower has a tunnel-vaulted ground floor and a spiral stair giving access to the two upper floors. Originally, entry was only possible via the church but a doorway giving onto the churchyard was later inserted. The church was restored in 1836 and again in 1870, when the nave was extended to the east and the chancel rebuilt. The tower was restored in 1886...."
  • Owner

    Gatehouse Gazetteer
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/2357.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 631 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES