Bamburgh Castle Windmill from St Oswald's Gate

  • Description

    "Bamburgh has been an important defensive site for hundreds of years. The castle is largely medieval but by the early 18th century was in ruins. It was bought by Lord Crewe, the Bishop of Durham who left the castle in his will to charity. In 1757 Dr Sharpe, the trustee of the charity began restoration and the castle was made inhabitable again. This windmill was built at the west end of the castle and was used to grind corn to sell to the poor at special low prices. " Photo by Lisa Jarvis, 2007.
  • Owner

    Lisa Jarvis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/456416
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 658 times
    Picture Taken: 2007-06-02
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES