CHARLTONS VILLAGE

  • Description

    Information about Charltons by Stephen Larkin as part of the BBC Domesday Reloaded project. "The village is usually known as Charltons. This name is used on maps, road signs and by the district council and Post Office, but the name Charlton is sometimes used by local people such as the author of the 1986 description. The Slapewath Mine (closer to what is now Charltons rather than to Slapewath with shafts on private land at Hollin Hill farm) was established by Thomas Charlton in 1864. The houses built by his company from 1872 onwards were variously known as Charltons Cottages, Charltons Houses or Charltons Terrace, hence the name today....."
  • Owner

    BBC - Domesday Reloaded
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-464000-513000/page/33
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 2 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 305 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES