Description"Originally the site of the old medieval hospice of St Giles (hence the name "The Spital") founded in 1114 under the care of the priors of Hexham Abbey. The Spital is an elegant Palladian house dating from the early years of the 19th century, now a Grade 1 listed building. Hexham Golf Club was established in the park in 1907. In 1951, the club bought the whole of the Spital estate and in 1954, the clubhouse was moved into the renovated old house." Photo by Oliver Dixon, 2011.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2250960
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 172 times
Picture Taken: 2011-01-29