Description"Built in 1857 as a railway viaduct, closed 1968, re-opened to carry the A687, 1995. The 15th century, Skirlaw Bridge, built by Walter de Skirlaw of Durham 1388-1406. It has two arches: one a pointed one 91ft across and a rounded one 101ft wide crossing the River Wear, (bottom right). On the western end is a stone inscribed "Edward Palfreys Leap 1744"." Photo by Hugh Mortimer, 2007.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/317231
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 348 times
Picture Taken: 2007-01-21