Barforth Hall

  • Description

    Includes photos... "This farmhouse was once the manor of Barforth. There is a main building and two wings. Most of its older features would appear to date from the beginning of the 16th century, One of the ground-floor rooms was probably once a small chapel. It is possible that it was once the chapel of the Pudsey family who lived at Barforth- often known as Old Richmond. The estate came into the possession of the (Pudsey) family, by the marriage of Henry Puidsey with Elizabeth, the daughter and heiress of Sir John Laton of Barford, in the time of Edward III; and continued in it until 1659 when it was sold to Barrington Bouchier of Benningborough, near York, by the trustees, for the payment of the debts of Ambrose Pudsey, for £10,050. It is now the property of the Earl of Harewood, who purchased it of Walter Fawkes...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://keystothepast.info/search-records/results-of-search/results-of-search-2/site-details/?PRN=D1598
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years ago
    Viewed: 623 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES