Local History: South Church (County Durham)

  • Description

    "The village of Auckland St. Andrew, or South Church, as it is now usually called, is situated on the river Gaunless, which is at this place crossed by a stone bridge of one arch, and is one mile south from Bishop Auckland. The most important monument in the area is the Church of St Andrew. It was probably of Anglo-Saxon origin and there are still the remains of a number of Anglo-Saxon stone carvings. These were found during building work on the church in 1891. These fragments include the remains of at least one carved stone cross...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=D6886
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 182 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES