Description"St Mungo’s is the mother church of the North Tyne Valley. Up until the early 19th century, the original parish extended from Hadrian's Wall to Carter Bar and was at that time the largest parish in England; perhaps this helps to explain why the tiny village of Simonburn has such a large church. There are some traces of an Anglican church from the 9th century, but the present building is mainly 13th century in origin with sensitive restorations made in 1762 and 1863. The great East Window is in memory of Meyrick Beebee and is the gift of his widow. It represents the crucifixion of Jesus with His Mother and S John at the foot of the cross. The window was added in 1877. The Church of St Mungo is a grade II* listed building (http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-240822-church-of-st-mungo-simonburn- British Listed Buildings) http://www.hallbarns-simonburn.co.uk/simonburn.htm "The Great Parish of Simonburn" from Hadrian's Wall to Carter Bar http://www.northumbria.info/Pages/stmungo.html Northumbria.info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mungo Wikipedia article about St Mungo" Photo by David Dixon, 2012.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3192436
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 417 times
Picture Taken: 2012-10-17