Description""It was owned by the Herons until 1718, when it was conveyed to Robert Allgood. He repaired it some years later, but its usefulness was past and it gradually fell into ruin. This was hastened by a belief that it contained hidden treasure. The villagers were thus encouraged to pull it down in a fruitless search. Today, among the fallen masonry, only part of the north-east tower remains, with one or two lancets and doorways, and ruined walls nine and a half feet thick." The Great Parish of Simonburn from Hadrian's Wall to Carter Bar: An Historical Guide by Cecil Dickson Ward Davis (1972)." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2016.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4818269
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 7 months ago
Viewed: 260 times
Picture Taken: 2016-02-05