Monumental stone slab with dedication to the Emperors, Roman 2nd cent. Cambridge

  • Description

    Central moulded square within which is an octagonal wreath and inscription NVMINIB / AVGVSTOR / COH IIII GAL / EQ / FEC (To the divine spirits of the Emperors, the 4th Mounted Cohort of the Gauls set this up). Niches to left and right contain deities, and there are other fine details. This dedicatory slab has a long history. It was known to the antiquarian William Camden and published and illustrated in his 'Britannia'. The collector Sir Robert Cotton acquired it in 1599: it was given to Trinity College in 1750, and acquired by the M.A.A. in 1969. From Risingham, Northumberland, England. Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Cambridge
  • Owner

    Monopthalmos
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7549203@N04/8183234338/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years ago
    Viewed: 508 times
    Picture Taken: 2012-10-19T12:02:12
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES