"Castle" in Ridsdale

  • Description

    "This is not a castle as it may at first appear. This is the former engine house for the Ridsdale Iron Works. It housed two beam engines which supplied the blast for three blast furnaces which were located to the north. The blast furnaces were dismantled by Armstrong in the late 19th Century and moved to his works on Tyneside. The remains of the engine house is the last remaining tangible evidence of iron-making in Ridsdale. It is commonly assumed to be a castle" Photo by Ian Paterson, 2007.
  • Owner

    Ian Paterson
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/459978
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 6 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 1502 times
    Picture Taken: 2007-06-04
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES