St Cuthbert's Chapel on Inner Farne

  • Description

    "This monastic chapel dates from the fourteenth century. It fell out of use after the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII and by the end of the eighteenth century had become derelict. Much restoration was undertaken by Archdeacon Charles Thorpe in the mid nineteenth century and extensive repairs were carried out by the National Trust in 1929. The chapel houses a memorial to Grace Darling and also some fine wood carving." Photo by Andy F, 2009.
  • Owner

    Andy F
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1379395
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 410 times
    Picture Taken: 2009-06-18
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES