Description"The present building replaced an older building in 1849, of which only a chancel arch remains. In the aftermath of the Battle of Branxton Moor or as we Scots call it, Flodden Field, on the 9th September 1513, this church received hundreds of dead warriors - mainly Scots. Out of an army of 25,000 more than 10,000 Scots died including our king, James IV of Scots. James was arguably Scotland's greatest king, certainly of the House of Stewart. The king's body was carried off, taken around England 'on show' then finally carved and scattered to the winds. Nearly all of Scotland's nobility and much of the establishment of the church and a generation of Scotland's youth perished on our darkest day. Those 'Flowers of the Forest' died for no reason in a battle which should never have been fought. There is a long standing gratitude to the priests of Branxton who cared for and gave solace to the fallen Scots as a nation wept." Photo by James Denham, 2009.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1195538
Resource type: Image
Added by: Pat Thomson
Last modified: 4 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 386 times
Picture Taken: 2009-03-08