John Marley Centre, Scotswood, Newcastle upon Tyne

  • Description

    "This lovely art deco building was built in 1936 as a secondary school, closed in 1992 and reopened in 1994 as part of Newcastle college, with local boy Mark Knopfler doing the honours. It was named after Sir John Marley who defended the King's interest in the town during the Civil War and later became Mayor. During the 1644 Siege of Newcastle the Scots, in taking the town for Parliament, threatened to destroy the tower of St. Nicholas Church with cannon-fire to quell resistance. Sir John Marley proceeded to place Scottish prisoners within the structure to save its very existence - and save it he did!" Photo by hayley green, 2009, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1463416
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 1327 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES