Tyne and Wear HER(6322): Elswick, Elswick Road, Stephenson Library

  • Description

    "Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Now a housing office. Known locally as the Stephenson building. Sir W.H. Stephenson (1836-1918) presented the building to the City in 1896 as its first branch library. It became West End Leisure and Learning in 1984. Described in 1895 as having a refreshment room, committee room, ladies reading room, general reading room...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/6322
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 394 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES