Hollinside Shaft, Clockburn Woods

  • Description

    An abandoned shaft, originally part of Axwell Park Colliery, which was fitted with a ventilation fan by the NCB in 1954 when miners from Marley Hill Colliery began working the coal seams beneath Hollinside and Gibside via the newly constructed Clockburn drift. The drift exited the hillside on the bank of the Derwent near Winlaton Mill and most of the coal produced went to the nearby Derwenthaugh Cokeworks. The drift closed along with the shafts at Marley Hill in 1983, and the coke ovens followed three years later. This airlock and the former colliery explosives store near Marley Hill School are the only surviving structures.
  • Owner

    toasted_poo
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike License
  • Further information

    Link: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7361/13517343723_aba88968a8.jpg
    Alternate Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/10246826@N03/13517343723/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 221 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES