Birtley Parish Church - St John The Evangelist

  • Description

    Official Website of the Church. The Website includes a page on the church's history. "Birtley is in Deanery of Chester-le -Street and the Diocese of Durham. Until the mid 19th century, the Anglican needs of the community of Birtley were served by the Parish and Church of Chester-le-Street. In 1847, a decision was made to create a new Church to this rapidly growing industrial village and its surrounding hamlets. The need for a new Church shows both the growth of Birtley and the need of the Church to meet rapidly changing communities at the time (largely due to the industrial revolution). The site chosen was a large plot adjacent to an existing burial ground and in a prominent position above the town. Work began in 1848, moved at quite a pace...."
  • Owner

    Birtley Parish Church - St John The Evangelist
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.birtley-stjohns.org.uk/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 794 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES